In honor of this being my hundredth post, I have done my “100 Things…” list. I’ve been working on this for a couple days… And it’s long – so hunker down and dig in, if you dare!
1. I have lived in 3 states.
2. At last count, I’ve visited 26 of the US states – including Hawaii (on my honeymoon), Arkansas (repeatedly, in my former job), and North Carolina.
3. Two states I’ve never been to, but would love to go see: New York and Texas.
4. I am a carb addict.
5. I have had two “letters to the editor” published in major magazines.
6. I’m allergic to a lot of stuff – if it occurs naturally in nature, I’m probably allergic to it.
7. I don’t like plain cheese – melt it and put it on pizza, and I love it – just a handful of plain cheese – bleeccccccch!
8. Plucking my eyebrows makes me sneeze.
9. Hubby and I dated briefly in high school.
10. Back then, I broke up with him because he was a bit of a chauvenist pig.
11. I am not really able to laugh at myself, and hate to be teased, even if it’s “all in good fun”.
12. I am a voracious reader – and get giddy at the thought of opening a new book and diving in to a new “adventure”.
13. I am pretty picky about how people treat my books – I hate loaning a book to someone, only to have it returned with a cracked spine, dog-eared pages, or moisture damage (my mom does this – she tends to read in the tub and often drops the books or gets pages wet).
14. My two daughters bring me a ton of joy to my life.
15. I love when Pumpkin gives me slobber kisses – a baby’s love is so limitless and pure.
16. The Princess makes me proud of my parenting ability, even if she can be a stinker – she has such a big heart, and says the most loving things, so I figure I must be doing something right.
17. When I started college, I intended to be an biomedical engineer and find a cure for cancer. 18. I quickly scrapped that idea because I couldn’t pass physics – a major engineering pre-requisite.
19. I did, however, pass Fortran – for all the good that did me.
20. After my sophomore year of college, I toyed with the idea of studying Interior Design.
21. I scrapped that idea too, as I have no fashion or design sense.
22. The older I get, the lighter my eyes get.
23. If I were to get plastic surgery, I’d get either a tummy tuck (the joys of having babies) or a nose job (I inherited my dad’s nose – and I don’t like it).
24. I’ll never get plastic surgery because I’m a big chicken, and anesthesia makes me ill.
25. I don’t have any tattoos.
26. I only have one piercing in each ear – and debated piercing my belly button – but didn’t do it. 27. Papa John’s pizza is one of my favorite foods ever.
28. I think I lived on Papa John’s breadsticks through my first trimester of pregnancy with The Princess.
29. I have a few really good friends, rather than a bunch of people that I call friends.
30. I’d take that over having a full social calendar anyday.
31. I am not a great cook but am addicted to the Food Network.
32. I have a list I keep of things that make me happy to keep me focused on the little blessings in my life.
33. I like college football, can’t stand watching NFL.
34. I prefer hockey over any other sport, though (go RedWings).
35. I’m a homebody.
36. Inevitably, when I’m on vacation, I get sick of being away from home, and just want to go home so I can have a big glass of cold, skim milk. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find milk while travelling.
37. One of my all time favorite songs is “American Pie” by Don McLean. The Madonna version was okay – but nowhere near the genius of the original.
38. There is also a Hawaiian version of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” by Israel something-something-something (I can’t remember his last name!) – and it rocks my world – one of the first songs downloaded onto my MP3 player. [It's the version played in the movie "Finding Forrester"]
39. I’m a Starbucks addict (yeah, that was a news flash, wasn’t it?).
40. I’m becoming fanatical about recycling – I recycle my newspaper, junk mail, magazines, cans, and plastic. Doing my part to help our earth.
41. Once, I got about halfway through the book “Gone With The Wind” and lost my place. I never picked it up again, because frankly, my dear, I didn’t give a damn, either.
42. I sing badly, but with enthusiasm.
43. My girls like my singing – so thank goodness for unconditional love.
44. I love unshelling and eating peanuts.
45. The Oreo Madness from TGI Friday’s is one of my favorite treats.
46. I like almost any restaurant where you get a bread basket before your meal shows up.
47. Except Olive Garden. For some reason, I could take or leave Olive Garden.
48. I tend to care too much about what people think of me.
49. I am likely to over-extend myself rather than tell someone ‘no’.
50. I really feel like these are the best days of my life – I will never mourn the fact that I’m not some young, dumb 16 year old anymore. I’d rather be older and wiser.
51. Sleep deprivation makes me a giant crabby butt.
52. When I’m hungry, I’m unbearable to be around.
53. I haven’t had to set an alarm clock to wake up in about a year.
54. Every night after Pumpkin goes to bed, I have my daily dose of caffeine – an ice cold Coke Zero. That stuff is way better than Diet Coke (taste wise – I’m sure it’s horrible healthwise, and I don’t wanna know about it).
55. My favorite form of exercise is walking. It’s easy – cheap – and you don’t need any special gear to do it.
56. I hate playing games with The Princess that involve pretending I’m an animal and having a conversation. Play-acting is not my thing!
57. I hate winter – and would love to move to where winter temps hover around 50 to 60 degrees – that I could tolerate.
58. I’m always on time, and usually early.
59. I’m less early now than I was before two kids. Now I’m lucky to get out of the door without someone crying (and sometimes that would be me).
60. I have little patience for stupid people.
61. I know the words to too many old TV show theme songs (Hubby and I did a living room duet of the “Growing Pains” theme last weekend… sing it with me, “Show me that smile again…”).
62. I love to dance.
63. The movie character I am probably most like is Sally Albright from “When Harry Met Sally” – I order meals pretty much the same way.
64. I’ll go see nearly any movie that has John Travolta in it. Or Matthew McConaughey. Or Matt Damon.
65. I’m actually partly skeeved by Matthew McConaughey after seeing him tell Oprah a few weeks ago that he doesn’t use deoderant. But man, is he cute.
66. I love the way Adam Duritz writes, and so the Counting Crows are one of my all time favorites.
67. I once went to Virginia and LaLoma to see what was there. It’s a gorgeous residential area in Berkeley- great view, but no “Perfect Blue Buildings”.
68. I love writing – when I was in college, I wrote a lot of poetry – but I’ve found it’s hard to write poetry now, because I’m much happier and less moody than I was then.
69. I was named after a song.
70. I am petrified of flying.
71. On a flight just over a year ago, I was so freaked out by the turbulence that the flight attendant found an off-duty pilot to sit with me to calmly explain to me what the bumps of turbulence were – and to explain to me how a plane really flies.
72. I am also petrified of snakes. Can’t even stand to see them on TV or in a book.
73. I went to Lilith Fair – on purpose.
74. I can quote much of “When Harry Met Sally” and “Steel Magnolias”.
75. I am almost always cold.
76. I hate being lied to and I tend to hold a grudge about it.
77. Though I’m not always the neatest person, I get mad when someone else makes a mess in the house.
78. I hate emptying the dishwasher – it’s one of my least favorite chores.
79. I had highlights once and they looked skunky, so I’ve stayed
pretty natural since.
80. I played flute for 6 years and never really did get any good at it.
81. I picked the flute because it was the lightest instrument to carry and it fit into my back pack. 82. My dad is a pianist, but I don’t know how to play the piano.
83. Before bed, I sing to the girls. To The Princess, I sing “Reason to Believe” (Rod Stewart – though I hate him), and to Pumpkin, I sing “The Longest Time” (by Billy Joel, who I really like). 84. Pumpkin was really close to being named “Alexa” – I’m glad we didn’t do that – it wasn’t very “us” – but also, Trojan released a line of feminine products called “Elexa” – and well… that just wouldn’t have been nice.
85. For breakfast, I like to mix Special K and Vanilla Almond Special K together… yum.
86. I like cereal A LOT and could eat it three meals a day (and then some) – so I would not do well on Atkins or South Beach.
87. I have a monster sweet tooth.
88. Speaking of teeth, I grind my teeth and clench my jaw when I sleep.
89. When I was a kid, my dad used to play “The Rainbow Connection” from the Muppet Movie for me and I still adore that song – it reminds me of my dad.
90. I tend to be non-confrontational.
91. One of the only confrontations I have ever gotten into was with Hubby’s ex… It wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but it sure felt good.
92. I hate being winked at. Seriously. I don’t care who does it, I hate it. My mom has done it before – I hate it. It doesn’t even have to be me that is getting winked at – I think it’s just one of those unbearably cheesy things. I hate it.
93. I don’t floss as often as I should, and I usually get fanatical about it a week before I’m due to go to the dentist’s.
94. I don’t actually expect anyone to read this far, but still I type – so I must be an optimist (or stupid).
95. My freshman year of college, my writing class is the only class I got an A in.
96. I don’t like my inlaws – I don’t know how such gruesome people raised my husband. I think it was a fluke.
97. Driving across big bridges makes me nervous – I remember after the quake in San Francisco, after they repaired the Bay Bridge, we were driving across it and dad said, “And here is where it was broken.” Ack! Don’t tell me that! Same principal as my fear of flying – it’s not the flying but the fear of plummeting to my death – in that case, into the cold, SF Bay.
98. I’m a worry wart.
99. I love to love the people in my life.
100. I have now shared entirely too much information about myself… But I did it!