1. Do y’all remember Alexander and his horrible, terrible no-good very bad day? It was a kids’ book (well… still is) and it was one of my favorites when I was younger. And you know, what it all boils down to in the end is that some days ARE like that – gum in the hair, can’t find your favorite jammies, not getting the prize out of the cereal box, not getting the window seat. Though it evolves and the scale and scope is different as you age, some days (weeks, months…) are just… like that sometimes. Even in Australia.
2. Tomorrow is the last day of school for the kiddos – and then I’ll have a second and fifth grader. They have both grown and changed and learned so much this year. I’m bummed that I’ll be missing so much of their summer, but, I think we’ll manage.
3. This week is the “give it to every single food craving you absolutely have because why not” (and because some days are like that, even in Australia). Burger and onion ring craving? Check. Tacos? Check. Peanut butter cups for breakfast? Check (And check. And, uh… check). I don’t normally eat this way and I’m not really planning to stay on this path – mostly because it just feels gross to eat so much garbage. BUT MY GOD IT IS SO YUMMY.
4. One of the most fun things about keeping a 365 photo project is getting to look back at where I was on this day, however many years ago. This is year four, so… I can look back a few years. On this day two years ago, I was on one of the most fun blogging trips ever – to Cincinnati to Proctor & Gamble for the Fabric Care University where I met Tim Gunn. A lot of cool things have come my way because of blogging – that’s been one of my favorite moments. Still. Even two years later. (Though I still think that it was a mistake to move Project Runway to Lifetime and it was better – way better – when it was on Bravo. Also, I think Mondo should have won his season.)
5. The Princess just kicked off summer practices for a new season of gymnastics and she’d been hoping to get to use a Nicki Minaj song for her floor routine. Instead… we’ll have a whole year of “Pumped Up Kicks.” Can you sense my excitement? (Ugh)
6. And speaking of music… I made it up until last week before hearing “Call Me Maybe”. I admit, I just don’t listen to the radio much – but the girls and I listened to the radio to and from Chicago last Sunday – and heard the song a few times. And then promptly got it stuck in my head.
7. I haven’t been doing a whole lot of reading lately – between life stuff and photo editing stuff – but when I do read, lately I’ve been catching a few pages of “Coraline” by Neil Gaiman to make sure it’s not too creepy for The Princess first before passing it on.
8. Did I just say photo-editing? This little dude was just over a week old when I photographed him last week. So precious. (But so tiring – newborns? So unpredictable and you take what you can get and try for some good shots. I was frustrated during the shoot – but am pretty pleased with the results overall)
9. Speaking of babies, I’ll be watching my niece Saturday when I take her to a family bridal shower my sister is unable to attend. How excited am I? I did have to promise my sister I wouldn’t let strange people hold her baby and that I wouldn’t put the baby on the floor of the hall. But… I think I’ll easily be able to hold up my end of the deal. Can’t wait. (I’m a pretty awesome aunt, just so you know)
10. In preparation for this bridal shower, I will spend extensive amounts of time tomorrow making massive quantities of bruschetta. I sure do hate cooking, but my bruschetta is legendary. I kind of look forward to the smell of fresh basil in the kitchen. Oooh, and garlic.